Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Hand Cut Turquoise Necklace

 

IMG_3808

My latest creation is this turquoise necklace. I salvaged the turquoise from an old vintage necklace that was broken and had missing parts. The turquoise disks are a fine medium blue with a strong black matrix. I don’t know the source of the turquoise.

The original necklace had a somewhat tribal appearance. The turquoise heishi disks were hand cut and a bit rough. Some disks are thick while others are thin. There isn’t the sheen that one usually sees on modern stabilized turquoise. In other words, I believe this turquoise to be quite old. There were some handmade sterling beads in the original but they were too badly crushed to be reused. The original was strung on short pieces waxed cord that were tied together to make a longer cord. Interesting!

The front of the necklace has 10 mm disks while the sides have 6 mm disks. I have added some graduated polished black onyx and silver roundels to give the necklace some sparkle and some contrast. It also creates the appearance of a graduated necklace. This new necklace is 22 inches long and has a lobster claw clasp.

The necklace is for sale in my etsy shop, Sirocco’s Trading Post. I hope you will stop by and take a look at all the items listed in the shop.

 

No comments: